Beverly Allen is a Hamilton, Ontario based visual artist with a love of travel and exploration. She is a maker of marks - prints, textiles and books.
Her latest work investigates images directly from nature. This connects her with nature in multiple ways.
- She explores the colours immediately available from the plants around her by
- printing them with heat and water on paper and textiles;
- She tracks geographical areas by the plant life there, always noting the
- differences in similar plants in different areas and seasons;
- She is paying equal attention to “weeds” and encouraged plants, giving a
- snapshot in time of the plant life in a particular area;
- She is also exploring natural dyes from local ingredients.
She finds plants and arranges them to reflect her love of subtlety and luminous colours, even
taking into account the influence of surprise. You can glimpse the cell structures within the
plants. This art is slowly developed, paying attention to seasons, and local conditions that affect
the plants and their colours.